Monday, December 19, 2016

Suicide jokes

I've headed up north to spend some time at my boyfriend's place for the holidays. I went to a big family gathering last night, and it was tough.

One of the first things that was said to me was a joke about slitting my wrists.

I'm quite guilty when it comes to making jokes about mental health. But I always do it when only with a receptive audience. My best friend and I will kid about our mental health a lot, because we both suffer from very similar mental illnesses and dark humor is one of our favorite coping strategies. I'd never make jokes to others though. You don't know what others are going through. And because of that, you should never make jokes unless you know it's okay with that person.


3 comments:

  1. It's a very different situation, joking with someone who has similar experiences and struggles to you who you talk openly with, compared to someone saying it to you out of the blue. Humor is a great coping mechanism, but having 'outsiders' joke like that just hurts. I'm sorry they said that. It sounds like they really had no right to.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right? I'm pretty cool with jokes about suicide, eating disorders, self harm, etc coming from people who have actually been through the stuff, but when people with little knowledge of these issues joke about them they're de-humanizing those who have been through it.

    It hurts to have people make suicide jokes because they don't ever really seem to understand the gravity of the matter or how terrible it feels to get to that point; they're making fun of it lightheartedly with little to no consideration as to how much it actually hurts people.

    <3 Good luck with your boyfriend's family, it sounds stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it actually went quite well!

      Delete