Thursday, July 14, 2016

DBT skills

I've been doing some DBT skill work lately in therapy, and I have to say, I find it extremely frustrating. 

When I'm really distressed I can't do my skills. They're great in theory. And the emotion regulation skills are life savers for me. Keeping up with hygiene, exercise, meds and (relatively okay) food intake, really helps me not dip into crisis. But it's the crisis skills I struggle with. 

Doing something like radical acceptance, or TIPS is great in theory, but when I'm that distressed, I can't get myself to do them. When I'm extremely upset, I can't just radically accept my situation if I can't change it. I don't want to either. I want to fight it. Similarly, when I'm very upset, I can't leave my bed, never mind taking a cold shower or doing intense exercise. 

My therapist tells me that I can use my skills it's just extremely difficult. I feel like that makes it sound like I'm not trying. I am trying. Sometimes I physically can't leave my bed. What am I to do then?

The past couple days have been rough. I had a couple upsetting conversations with my dad, with regards to my trauma and my sister. I missed out on two days of work because of this. I made it to work today though, and although I'm struggling I'm determined to push through it. I see my doctor tonight and I'm going to do some choreography as that always puts me in a good mood.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Just started following your blog and I hope to catch up on your last couple posts over the weekend.

    I don't have a clear picture of what you're going through so it would be disingenuous to say "I can relate" but I think i understand. I struggle to get out of bed some days, and then i get back into it as soon as i can. I drag myself to work every day but I often stare blankly at my desk or computer screen because I cant get over my mental issues and do my frickin job. I try though.

    Hope you're able to get through the difficult times and work on your DBT skills. Just do as much as you can, and try not to stress out when you're unable to function at full capacity. :-)

    The Pedestrian Writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry DBT isn't working out for you it didn't for me either...my cousin swears by it, but I couldn't stand it. best luck in the future with much better treatment! Sending Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. The advice I've always been given is to practice your skills all the time, and when you're not in crisis, that means it's easier to do when in crisis... Takes a long time and a lot of hard work. I've got so much better over the years of having the feelings and not acting on them (aside from the wonky eating lately obviously.)

    xx

    ReplyDelete