Thursday, June 2, 2016

Facebook post!

I thought I'd share the post I shared on facebook today, for world eating disorder action day.


Today is eating disorder action day.
I got asked the other day why breaking the stigma surrounding mental health was so important to me, so here's my answer.
Had I been more educated (and properly educated) about mental health and didn't fear the stigma, I would have reached out for help a lot sooner, and potentially have been able to treat my illness sooner. It kills me to think that others are in similar situations.
Here are 9 truths about eating disorders that have been put out for world eating disorder action day
Truth #1: Many people with eating disorders look healthy, yet may be extremely ill.Truth #2: Families are not to blame, and can be the patients’ and providers’ best allies in treatment.Truth #3: An eating disorder diagnosis is a health crisis that disrupts personal and family functioning.Truth #4: Eating disorders are not choices, but serious biologically influenced illnesses.Truth #5: Eating disorders affect people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, body shapes and weights, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic statuses.Truth #6: Eating disorders carry an increased risk for both suicide and medical complications.Truth #7: Genes and environment play important roles in the development of eating disorders.Truth #8: Genes alone do not predict who will develop eating disorders.Truth #9: Full recovery from an eating disorder is possible. Early detection and intervention are important.
If you have any questions regarding eating disorders or mental health, I'm a pretty open book so feel free to ask me questions!!

Today is day six purge free!!!

-Niqi
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Very brave of you to open up like that :)

    Congrats on day 6!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete