Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Distress tolerance kit

With so much going on lately, my anxiety levels have skyrocekted. With good reason, I have so much going on that I'm forgetting to take care of myself. It doesn't help that I have the most random routine, and I'm bouncing between prof office hours, studying individually, group studying, two jobs and treatment.

I've made my distress tolerance kit though, and it's great to have a box to go to when I'm not feeling well or safe. I always thought these boxes were a bit ridiculous, because I have all these things spread out around my room, but it's infinitely easier to go to a box and pick something, instead of having to come up with what to do, and then go find any tools I might need, on my own.

My kit has:
- gum and hard candy to help with binge urges
- coloring books and pencil crayons
- my DBT skills handouts
- a list of reasons to live
- a candle
- a couple bags of herbal tea
- sudoku puzzles
- my CBT thought record journal

In theory my regular journal is supposed to live in there too, but it tends to stay in my bed because I like journaling in the morning or evening before/after sleeping.

I was supposed to put this together a couple months ago when I was in DBT group, but definitely wasn't committed enough to trying. I'm really happy I have it together now. I want to make a mini one as well to take with me, where I'll keep my ativan. I want to put in tea, an incense stick, gum, and a small ball of clay to play around with when anxious.

I hope you're all hanging in there,

I have treatment tomorrow, and then I'll be grocery shopping, so this week's grocery haul will be up tomorrow!

-Niqi
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I need to make one for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an archive box that I painted and filled with similar items, for a self-care/distraction/mindfulness box. Often I forget it's there, but when I do remember, it's been extremely helpful. A mini 'to go' one is a really good idea!

    xx

    ReplyDelete