Saturday, February 6, 2016

EDAW

As Eating Disorder Awareness Week comes to a close, I thought I would share the experience I had when I went to go see a survivor, who's now a counselor, speak. 

The event was amazing. She didn't go into details about how much she restricted, or how much she lost or how many of her organs almost failed. Which was much appreciated. It's always hard when sharing your story. You want to properly explain how bad it was, how it wasn't just a phase, something you could grow out of. But at the same time, you don't want to trigger anyone. 

It's totally possible that the only reason I think this is because I personally suffer from bulimia. However, I sometimes find it frustrating when I eating disorder awareness week arrives, and many anorexia survivors come out and share their stories, but very few bulimia survivors do. Again, I do not want to generalize in any way, or take away from those suffering from anorexia, and I would love your opinions on this, but it seems as though anorexia is more socially acceptable than bulimia.

When I try to share my story, and express how sick I am, it's very hard to so without being blunt about the puking and the laxative abuse. I'm lucky to have an amazing support system and friends. Friends that don't judge me for my disorder. But I still find it hard to share my story. Because it's so 'disgusting' compared to other stories. 


-Niqi
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment