Sunday, October 11, 2015

Stigma

About a year ago, I found a post on tumblr (you can check it out here), where I girl wrote different things people had said to her on pill bottles. She was bullied as a child, and wrote the things that triggered her mental illness and caused her take medication for her mental illness.

I was really inspired by this, so over the past year I've been collecting my anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication bottles wanting to make a similar piece.

Personally, I have not been a victim of a lot of bullying. When I came out about my mental illness is when I started finding that people would judge me and started thinking lower of me. I sat down yesterday deciding that World Mental Health Day was a good day to start my piece. I started writing some of the things people have said to me since I started being honest about my mental illness. It shocked me how upset working on this made me, and how quickly I was able to come up with enough things that people have told me.

Here is the finished product:


All of these things have been said about me - either to my face or indirectly, with reference to my mental illnesses.

I am very lucky to have an amazing support system, that is extremely understanding and helpful. However, there will always be people who don't understand. Who will say mean things. Who will judge you based on what a doctor wrote on your medical chart. All I can do is hope that the stigma continues to lessen, so that I don't feel as though I should be ashamed over things I don't have control over.

-Niqi
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment