Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Morning routine

I've always been a morning person. I am much more productive in the morning, and I like the feeling of being up, awake and alive before the rest of the world. Lately my depression has been making it very hard for me to get out of bed in the morning - and a bad morning leads to a bad day for me about 99% of the time. Yesterday, during group, I did some thinking and made a new plan for the morning.

There are two things I need in the morning. A shower, and my coffee. This may sound strange, but for me showers have always been a way to hit the reset button on my brain. If I'm feeling low in the middle of the day, I like to have a nice hot shower, self soothe by using my good shampoo, conditioner and body scrub, and when I step out of the shower I pretend it's a new day. Sometimes I have a breakdown in the shower, I let my tears run down, I punch the wall (I actually have one of those bath pillows stuck on my shower wall so that I can punch it without hurting myself), I scream. I let my emotions out. But when I step out of the shower, I may still feel sad or angry, but I give myself a new start. I realized that there is definitely a big correlation between my bad mornings, and mornings I don't shower. So step number 1: always shower in the morning.

The second thing I need, is my caffeine. I am trying to reduce my caffeine intake to a moderate amount (I've gotten in trouble with my caffeine intake being so high I had to worry about my heart), so my caffeine is no longer in the form of pills. It's in the form of a nice cup of tea or coffee. The thing is, depression can make the simplest tasks seem impossible. Walking up the stairs to make myself a cup of coffee in the morning, before I've had any coffee, is one of the hardest things for me to do. So last night, a brewed myself a nice cup of coffee, but it in my incredible thermal mug, and left it in my bathroom. So when I woke up this morning, all I had to do was get myself to my bathroom, and I could have my coffee, and shower. Since my bathroom is only three steps away from my bed this is much more doable for me in the morning.

Here is the new breakdown of my morning:

7:00 am - alarm goes off, go to the bathroom, weigh in, drink some coffee, step in the shower
7:30 am - get dressed, finish off my coffee, spend half an hour at my desk blogging, finishing up some work, checking social media, while I sit by my happy light and let my hair air dry.
8:00 am - breakfast! (I MUST EAT BREAKFAST NO MATTER WHAT THE SCALE SAYS. BREAKFAST IS IMPORTANT.) and making my lunch for the day
8:30 am Get my bag ready for the day, make sure I have all my assignments and books I need, make a rough schedule for the day.
9:00 am WALK (don't bus) to school while listening to some HAPPY music.

This is the first morning I'm trying out this new schedule, and it is only 7:56 am right now, but I already feel a lot better than I usually do in the morning. I'm really happy with this new morning routine, and I think it is going to massively improve my days.

Good morning everyone!

-Niqi
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. You are a really good writer. And your morning routine is fabulous!!! Please keep writing: I really love your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, that means so much to me. 💜💜 take care

      Delete